My philosophy on cosmetics is centered on the idea that my body is designed to operate in a specific way, for specific reasons, and applied cosmetics should not interfere with that (toxic or not).
Adapting to this new philosophy was relatively easy for me to do, but I had a pretty hard time finding a deodorant that was as effective as the antiperspirant I had been using.
I tried all kinds of natural deodorants but my skin reacted badly to an ingredient in them, which is obviously less than ideal. The option of going without was also less than ideal, especially for the poor people who work with me...and especially in the middle of summer!
I finally started looking into some homemade options so I would know exactly what was going into them (and could therefore monitor those bad reactions I was having to the store-bought products). The recipe I'm going to share with you works like a charm. It's made of very simple ingredients, can be kept in a normal deodorant tube, and keeps you from being smelly even on the hottest days, I swear! You can customize your scent, which I love, and I haven't had one bad reaction to it.
To make some, combine:
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 c. cornstarch or arrowroot powder
approx 6 tbsp. unrefined coconut oil
My coconut oil had been sitting in our hot cupboard and was liquid when I pulled it out to make this, so I had to stick it in the fridge for awhile until it became solid again.
Smush the powders into the coconut oil with the back of a spoon until incorporated. You might need to add an additional tablespoon or two of coconut oil...you'll have a pretty firm, deodorant-like consistency when complete. Add your essential oils and mix well. I typically use lavender and tea tree oils because they are great antibacterials. Casy likes sweet orange mixed with Texas cedarwood and a just a couple drops of tea tree oil.
Then fill whatever container you're using with your new deodorant. I keep my tube in the fridge for now...if I don't, the coconut oil turns back into a liquid and everything leaks out of my container!
If you'd like more info on how to make this, there's a video here and more great articles here and here. It's a pretty popular method and I haven't heard a bad review yet!
Good luck!
Love, T.
No comments:
Post a Comment